Bayfield’s Blue Flag Beach and Marina
Blue Flag is a world-renowned eco-certification for beaches and marinas. When you see a Blue Flag flying, you know a beach or marina is clean and accessible; has great water quality; meets high safety standards; and is working hard to protect local shorelines and ecosystems. The Village of Bayfield, along with the Municipality of Bluewater are proud to participate in this program. Bayfield proudly flies the Blue Flag over both our beach and marina.
Some of the ways the Bayfield beach and marina reach these high standards include:
- Participation in the Lake Huron Centre for Coastal Conservation “Butt Free Beach Program“.
- Participation in the “Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup“.
- Participation in the installation and promotion of local Rain Gardens.
- The Municipality of Bluewater conducts stormwater sampling throughout the season to determine e.coli and phosphorous levels to potentially identify mitigation measures.
- Encouraging Sailors to sign the “Sailor’s Oath“.
- Awareness campaigns and signage regarding the presence and implications of gulls and geese on our beach.
- Water Talk Newsletters (Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4).
- Careful Beach and Dune EcoSystems & Bluff Conservation.